I was out at the opening of a show at the Beaux Arts Gallery in Brampton this evening. Susan Fennell, Brampton Mayor, honoured me with the presentation of First Prize for my photo Eugenia.
There is a lot of really good photography on display in this show. Make a point of dropping by to see it if you are anywhere near downtown Brampton. It is a huge honour for me to have been selected from such a strong showing. Here is what Beaux Arts said about the show:
Jurors of the show Glen Jones and Jim Hamilton will attend the Reception and talk about their selection of 89 photographs from a field of 260 entered in the competition. Entries were received from 98 photographers throughout the Greater Toronto Area and beyond and 57 of them have works in the show. “Entries came from as far away as Victoria, B.C. and Deep River, Ontario” remarked Lynden Cowan, President of Beaux-Arts Brampton, “and it’s a beautiful show we’re very proud of”.
Six Awards will be presented on Thursday, May 6th to:
1. Craig Bell, for ‘Eugenia’ – First Prize sponsored by Brampton Economic Development
2. Peter Young, for ‘Grace’ – Second Prize sponsored by Beaux-Arts Brampton Board
3. Janet Scott, for ‘Old School Hats’, Third Prize , Beaux-Arts Members
Three Honourable Mention Awards go to:
4. Jim Murphy for ‘Delphinium’
5. Michele Taras for ‘Crimson Flight’
6. Paul Kolman for ‘North AM. Motosport-Snow’
“We expect this show to put the City of Brampton and Beaux-Arts Brampton on the Photography and Arts Map in the region”, said Lynden Cowan. “We hope that anyone interested in photography will come see the show”, she said. Contact Festival Guides are available at the Gallery. The show continues until May 29th.