I just completed a series on the historic homes in Alton, done in my usual dark style and printed using the emulsion transfer process that I recently figured out. Looking over the completed prints, I noticed that the clouds were really the scene-stealers in these photos.
I have been experimenting with new ways to “print” my work for more than a year now. The learning curve was long and pretty steep (or I am a very slow learner), but I am finally producing work that I can show in public.
The process is a type of transfer – I print the image on a carrier sheet, wet it with alcohol gel, then apply the image to another surface. The resulting image is a very delicate layer that “floats” for a while on the gel, allowing me to move it and distort it before it dries. This is fun!